Third Light is hiring a Back End Engineer —a Go developer or someone who has been mixing Go into their work or personal projects and is readynow looking for a primarily Go-based role.
You may work remotely - joining a team that already includes remote workers - or from our Cambridge office.
This is about delivering sophisticated new product features for release to our state-of-the-art software service that helps people manage and share their digital media files easily – features that deliver immediate positive impact for our global user base.
We're a small and expanding software development team, building an enterprise application with a highly-polished UI, using the very best and latest techniques. We employ an iterative, design-led process where everyone on the team gets a say.
We're agile and manage our work using a gentle Kanban process with daily stand-ups and we encourage a lightweight, productive approach to development. We can allocate projects that build upon your current strengths, and we offer a personal development approach that you may help shape.
Your opinion and expertise will be valued from day one.
Upcoming projects within the team
- Integrate with social media to provide a publishing platform that can also gather user-generated content
- Provide AI and machine vision to detect duplicate files and provide auto-tagging and OCR
- Create a metrics & reporting system to track usage of features, document downloads and image views
- Implement a full SFTP client & server interface to integrate with SLR Cameras and legacy systems
- Extend workflow and automation microservices to create intuitive automated channel publishing tools
- Automate orchestration of microservices in our product e.g. exploring Kubernetes
- < your idea here! >
We're looking for
- Someone who's positive about Go and wishes to embrace this exciting language
- Proven back-end coding skills using either PHP or Go and for Linux
- Demonstrable interest in Go—from industry, self directed learning or personal projects
- An appreciation for continuous unit and integration testing
- Skills in designing, building, testing and maintaining web services, ideally microservices
- Ability to work with a large, live, production codebase
- Familiarity with relational databases e.g. MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Familiarity with CI/CD, preferably within a Git-based workflow
- Optionally, familiarity with porting an OO monolith to a microservice architecture
- Someone considering mid level back-end jobs such as: Go Developer | Go Microservices Developer | Golang Developer| Node.js Developer | PHP Developer | Python Developer | Back End Engineer | Back End Developer etc.
You may bring—or like to gain—skills exploring any of the following
- Containers, containers as services and automated container deployment
- Large-scale storage, manipulation and streaming of multimedia
- Machine intelligence, visual recognition or similar numerical computation
- Production experience in systems configuration, monitoring, logging, and metrics gathering
Our current technology mix - we'll help you get up to speed
Salary and benefits
- c.£50,000— negotiable —we're keeping an open mind
- Contributory pension scheme
- Personal development plan that you can shape for related training/certifications/conferences
- 25 days holiday + public holidays | flexible hours | bicycle and free car parking | on site cafe | good coffee and tea | fresh fruit | choice of high end workstation | an adorable Beagle to brighten the office
Working remotely: The Third Light development team embraced remote working a few years ago and now has workers in more than one country. We strive to provide a friendly, fun, supportive remote-working culture and we refine our processes to make remoting easier. We will welcome your ideas and contributions. We provide computing equipment and cover reasonable costs incurred from running a home office.
Normally, as a new starter, you'd come to the office for a few weeks to get to know each other. Due to Coronavirus you will no-doubt join us remotely, at least temporarily, which will bring interesting challenges in how best to introduce you to, and integrate you into, the development team—how to train you, how to help familiarise yourself with our systems and ways of working. We see this as an interesting challenge so we’re working it out at the moment. We're planning a fully-remote ‘onboarding’ process with team meetups, one-to-one sessions and pair programming as well as online social gatherings for you when you join.
If you'd prefer to primarily work from our office this option will still be available to you after lockdown.
About Third Light
Third Light is a small, fast-expanding software company. We create products that simplify the organisation and management of digital media files. Our products are used by hundreds of organisations such as the United Nations, the Royal Albert Hall and the Medical Research Council, brands that include ITV, Southampton FC and UKTV, and not-for-profits such as Movember, the Scouts and Guide Dogs. We employ integrity and intelligent thinking to provide well-designed, easy-to-use products. We're an equal opportunities employer.
Located: just outside Cambridge, UK; on the bus route, and commutable from Cambridge city centre, Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Huntingdon, Newmarket, Peterborough, Saffron Walden, St. Neots etc.
Timing: you may join right away, or any time before early autumn
Even if your CV isn't ready, please talk with Vittoria at techfolk to find out more:
0117 318 2447 | firstname.lastname@example.org | @we_are_techfolk
RECRUITERS: Third Light has selected techfolk as its recruitment partner for this position and cold calling or speculative applications are not welcomed.
How to apply
Please send your CV to Vittoria at email@example.com or apply through https://www.techfolk.co.uk/job/back-end-engineer-69.aspx
Does this job really require Go skills? If not, please report it and we will take a look.