We are the team behind the Shell Accuport Platform and our mission is to explore the Marine industry’s pains, choose the right problems to solve and bring digital products, new value propositions and business models to life.
We run all our code on the Google Cloud Platform and we mainly use Go on the back-end, some Python for data science and ETL tasks, together with some Terraform scripts for orchestration. Our front-end is written using React and Typescript. All our code goes through a CI/CD pipeline and we code review every change. We have customers using our product in production and are currently looking to strengthen our infrastructure and automate environment creation.
We are a multi-disciplinary team with a blend of startup and enterprise experience. With Accuport, we leverage the wealth of data and cloud technologies and empower our cross-functional teams in making customer-centric and data-informed decisions.
Our interview process will be remote. The role is open to candidates wanting to work 100% remotely, but you need to be based in the UK (please DO NOT apply if you are not based in the UK).
Who you are:
You are a software engineer with a minimum of 4 years of experience building distributed systems (1+ years in Go), who is also comfortable doing some infrastructure work with a track record of taking complex products from an early prototype discovery phase to a scale-ready production product.
You have led the technical development for large areas of digital products and thus have experience building cloud-native software architectures (AWS, Google Cloud Platform or Azure).
You also know how to balance quality and speed and understand that a multi-layered testing approach (unit, integration, end-to-end), helps in reaching high code quality. You have worked on solutions for monitoring and management to continuously measure the “pulse” of a live system and be notified and ready to tackle any important issue raised through such systems.
You are passionate about solving customer frictions and building simple and effective products which solve real-world problems. You can work autonomously in a small cross-functional team and can communicate well with team members. Equally, you are able to effectively contribute to the engineering and technical decisions across multiple teams.
What you’ll do:
You will be responsible for automating the build and configuration of platform components. By understanding customer problems you will be able to help the team design and architect innovative, modern architectures. Additionally, you will be working alongside your fellow back end engineers on improving the codebase and taking an active part in the development of new APIs.
Being part of a diverse and multi-skilled development team you will produce maintainable and scalable code, you will work towards the goals and objectives of the team.
Technical Skills (must have):
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineer building distributed systems (e.g. Go, Python, Java, node.js)
- 1+ years of experience designing and writing Go applications through commercial experience or significant contributions to open source projects (APIs, serverless functions, command line tools, etc)
- 2+ years of experience building cloud-native applications (GCP, AWS or Azure)
- 1+ year of experience using cloud platform automation/orchestration tools as a developer (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Cloudformation)
Some extra bits that will make your profile stand out:
- Python development experience
- Experience in writing Terraform scripts
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with various SQL and no-SQL databases (e.g. Postgres, BigQuery, BigTable), data warehouse, data processing pipelines
- You are available at short notice
Interview process (whole process is managed remotely):
- A phone screen with the Head of Engineering to talk more about the role and delve deeper into past experience and projects - 1hr
- Technical assessment: you are invited to submit a Go application of your choice that demonstrates your skills. It must be in the area of distributed systems. It can even be a coding test for another company. If you don’t have that , we can also provide you a take-home task.
- An interview with 2 engineers to review your submitted project (no live coding, no algorithms, brain teasers or trick questions) - 1hr
- An interview with someone in our product experience team, where you will collaborate on fleshing out a complex user need - 45min
How to apply
Send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (please, ONLY UK-based candidates)
Does this job really require Go skills? If not, please report it and we will take a look.