Senior Backend Engineer
What is WalkUp about?
We are on a mission to allow people to get a table anytime anywhere. Our first step; we’re getting rid of restaurant queue’s across London by allowing diners to queue remotely through our App. Next step is to allow other ways to getting access to tables of the best restaurants around the world.
We started in 2017 with a team of 3 with plans to change the way people access restaurants. Now we are in over 500 of the busiest restaurants across London and seat over 600,000 people each week.
- Go and Typescript to write our application code
- Firestore to store our data
- RabbitMQ for our asynchronous message queue
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services
- Airflow, BigQuery and Python for our data processing
- GCP for most of our infrastructure
- React and React Native for our frontends
What are we looking for
We’re hiring a capable and motivated Backend developer to help continue to build a reliable backend system for WalkUp.
WalkUp is seating over 600,000 people a week and growing over 10% week on week! We've raised over $1m in Seed Funding and are growing our software engineering team.
You’ll join 3 other developers, working closely with all sides of the system. We all work together to solve the problems that we face everyday.
We’re passionate about clean, testable, self-documenting code, we use Go for our backend services and have some serverless cloud functions that are written in Typescript. We have a micro service backend that is paired with some of Firebase's features such as Firestore database to allows us to iterate new features very quickly.
What you will work on:
As part of the early team of WalkUp you will have a huge impact on the direction of the company and the features that we decide to build. You will mostly be working on our backend systems which includes cloud functions and our microservices that run in our Kubernetes cluster. Within the backend work would include:
- Creating and maintaining domain orientated microservices
- Managing and maintaining the code base to make sure that it is running as expected
- Writing well documented APIs for the frontend to consume
- You should apply if:
- You want to build a product that you and everyone you know uses all the time
- You love Go and Typescript
- You've shipped and iterated on at least one system using microservices
- You're comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity and challenges every day
- Have an understanding of the principles of computer science
- You have a product mindset: you care about customer outcomes and you want to make data-informed decisions
- You’re interested in distributed systems and writing resilient software
- You have some experience with strongly-typed languages
Bonus points for (but not essential)
- Worked with React js
- Worked with NoSQL
- Worked with GraphQL
What we offer:
- Huge personal and technical development: We're seating over 600,000 people a week and growing double digits so you'll learn and use the latest technologies to keep us ahead of the curve.
- Help shape the future of the company, we're a small team so anyone joining at this stage will be critical to shaping where we end up.
- You'll build products used by millions of people all over London as we seat over 600k per week
- Support and mentorship to help you improve your skills
- Remote work friendly
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Does this job really require Go skills? If not, please report it and we will take a look.