At Customer.io we believe that businesses who create strong relationships with their customers will outperform the ones that don’t.
We’re working to make Customer.io the default choice for any internet business to deliver great, automated customer experiences at scale. Customer.io is used by over 1200 businesses to create continuity after a person leaves a website or mobile app. Every message (receipts, win-backs, and on boarding) across every channel (email, push, sms and more) can be managed and measured in Customer.io.
We’re looking for a new SRE to join our engineering team to help us build and maintain the systems that power [Customer.io](http://customer.io/)’s platform. You’ll be a part of an important team that currently handles 60TB of customer data and nearly 7 billion customer API calls received per month across 1200+ different paid customers.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response and capacity planning of the Customer.io service.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will:
- Be on our on-call rotation to respond to [Customer.io](http://customer.io/) availability incidents and provide support for technical support engineers with customer incidents.
- Use your on-call shift to prevent incidents from ever happening.
- Manage and automate our infrastructure.
- Ensure monitoring and alerting alert on symptoms and not on outages.
- Document every action so lessons learned turn into repeatable actions and then into automation.
- Improve the deployment process to make it as boring as possible.
- Design, build and maintain core infrastructure pieces that allow [Customer.io](http://customer.io/) scaling to support real-time processing and delivery of billions of messages.
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Plan the growth of [Customer.io](http://customer.io/)’s infrastructure.
- Enhance and improve our database infrastructure to improve the fault tolerance, scalability and performance of our platform.
Some traits we see in successful SREs:
- Think about systems - edge cases, failure modes, behaviors, specific implementations.
- Know your way around Linux and the Unix Shell.
- Know what is the use of config management systems like Ansible (the one we use).
- Have strong programming skills - bonus points for Go.
- Have experience collaborating and communicating asynchronously.
- Have an urge to document all the things so you don't need to learn the same thing twice.
- Have a proactive, go-for-it attitude. When you see something broken, you can't help but fix it.
- Have experience with MySQL, Docker, Kafka, Go.
Who you'll work with:
The main people you'll interact with are:
- Lefteris Zafiris - SRE, located out of the UK. He joined our team two years ago as our first dedicated SRE, kicking off our SRE department.
- Joe Purdy - SRE located out of Oregon, USA. He joined out team as a Technical Support Engineer almost three years ago, and switched to SRE when we saw his passion was in all things security.
- Matthew Newhook - VP of Engineering, located outside of Toronto, Canada. He heads up our Engineering team of 15 engineers, plus you!
- An engineering team who is passionate about the product. They’ll help you get the details right and ensure everything is going to scale flawlessly.
Beyond these folks you'll also work closely with our stellar team of customer facing folks that will look to you for help and guidance troubleshooting customer issues.
Why should you work with Customer.io?
There are lots of interesting and challenging projects for you to work on independently and with the team. You’ll have a say in what we do, and will collaborate across different teams. For example, our SREs and backend engineers help the support team with customer questions on a weekly rotating schedule.
We offer competitive salaries at or above market rate. Senior SREs range between $108,000 - 138,000 USD, depending on experience and subject to market rate. Check out our [career's page](https://customer.io/careers/) for more information on our great benefits and why you should [come work with us!](https://customer.io/about/)
We want to build and maintain a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where everyone has the opportunity to learn, mentor, and grow. We know that diverse teams make better products, and especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups to apply — if you have any questions, please let us know via Twitter. We don’t want “culture fit”, but “culture add.” We want people with different backgrounds from the team we have today to bring their perspective and thoughtfulness to the work that we do and the culture we’re always working to build.
Come join us!
Apply below and be sure to add your favorite linux distro in your cover letter!