Software Motor Company (SMC) is building a business with a culture of smart, empowered people who are committed to disrupting the $100 billion-plus market of electric motors. SMC combines award-winning, patented hardware and intelligent software with a SaaS model to deliver unprecedented energy savings of more than 50 percent.
Join us in revolutionizing this market and have a massive sustainability impact.
Our software shapes electrical currents, controls smart buildings, and turns data into insights. Projects you might work on include mission-critical alerting systems, IoT interfaces for commercial building automation, mobile apps for field technicians, low-level hardware controls, ML systems to predict equipment failure, and many other possibilities.
We’re a small engineering team without product managers, so you should feel comfortable wearing many hats. You will interact with academic researchers & building managers, learn new programming languages & hardware environments, and take entire projects from start to finish.
You find large challenges exciting. You enjoy designing the ideal solution, but you understand that in the end, what matters is shipping products. You think about usability, reliability, and security, among other concerns. You make well-reasoned tradeoffs and come up with plans to support your code after rollout.
We value and hire for curiosity, integrity, excellence, respect, and contribution. We’re creating a team of multidisciplinary experts looking to transform the world.
- 6+ years combined education & experience in software engineering.
- Shipped commercial products using a broad range of technologies.
- Concurrent programming.
- Unit and integration testing.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Linux, Kubernetes, multi-platform app development, or embedded software environments.
- IoT experience, for example with M2M protocols like BACnet or MQTT.
- Data infrastructure background, for example building ETL pipelines or ML systems.
- Competitive salary + equity.
- Health insurance (medical, dental, vision) & 401(k)
- Open PTO policy
- Snacks and catered lunch daily, in our SOMA office space.
- Autonomy and flexibility to build green tech from the ground up.
- Incredible growth potential - we are revolutionizing the electric motor industry.
- Open to remote work.
Software Motor Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.