As a highly valued, contributing software engineer on the VIPER SPG team, you will help shape the next generation cloud-based video delivery pipeline. Our team develops solutions to quickly solve unique challenges faced by the Comcast IP video delivery teams. We architect, build, and delivery strategic, targeted solutions in a rapidly evolving environment.
What are the interesting problems you’ll be working on?
Comcast acquires programming content from a vast number of sources, each with their own unique video standard interpretation. One of the developed SPG solutions normalizes and conditions all these unique variants into a common “house” standard format for consumption by all downstream video consumers. This normalization impacts all our IP services including content blackout as required by our programming contracts and dynamic ad insertion, a growing $2 billion dollar Comcast business.
Our newest project is a real-time content switching solution managing MPEG DASH manifests from multiple sources and on a fine-grained, potentially per-user basis, constructing a unique viewing experience based upon subscriber location and other information. The solution must serve millions of subscribers with response times in milliseconds. You will be working with some of Comcast's best engineers to develop this keystone of the linear pipeline for Comcast as well as its national and international partners.
Who does the SPG engineer work with?
SPG software engineers collaborate with industry experts from many disciplines: software architects, network engineers, data scientists, video player developers, content security specialists, and various streaming video technologists. An SPG engineer also engages with quality assurance engineers, technical operators, and product owners on a daily basis. We are a small team, rapidly delivering software solutions with the latest technologies at the leading edge of streaming video technology.
Where can you make an impact?
Your code will condition video streams in preparation for usage by all of Comcast’s downstream video components. You’ll process video content distributed to tens of millions of devices, all day, every day. The systems you design and build will enable first-to-market product features and integrate with big data systems for reporting and analytics. You'll help influence groundbreaking streaming video technology standards using cutting-edge technologies with real world lessons and see your individual contributions have multi-million dollar impact to Comcast’s bottom line.
- Design and develop new software applications including user interfaces, support applications under development, and customize existing applications
- Collaborate with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conduct analysis to determine integration needs
- Diagnose performance issues and propose and implement code improvements
- Assist in the constant integration and constant deployment of software releases
- Prove scalability with load generating tools
- Ensure the software architecture is lean, extensible, and well documented
- Ensure software modules are reliable and reusable
- Work with the Quality Assurance and Operations teams to ensure applications meet and/or exceed specifications and technical requirements
Here are some specific technologies we use in our development:
- HTML, CSS
- XML, JSON
Education, Skills and Requirements
- BS in Computer Science and/or 3+ years equivalent experience
- 2+ years programming in a high-level language like Java, C/C++, or Go
- 6+ months programming experience in Go
- Familiarity with the Lua scripting language is highly desirable
- Knowledge of object design, design patterns, and algorithms
- Experience developing multi-threaded applications for networking, web services, HTTP, and TCP/IP
- Experience with SCTE-35, SCTE-130, HLS, HDS, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and H.264 compression a plus
- Good communicator; able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Strong writing skills
- Great design and problem solving skills, with a strong bias for architecting at scale
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to pay careful attention to detail
- Able to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a division within Comcast’s Technology and Product Division based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that’s been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer